




Photos courtesy of www.soccerbible.com
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has confirmed Rafael Benitez will be presented as the club's new coach on Wednesday.
Benitez has been in talks with the European champions since his six-year spell as Liverpool manager was ended by mutual consent last week.
"We have agreed the final details, which were not important things. On Wednesday we shall present Rafa Benitez," Moratti said in a statement on the Inter website, www.inter.it.
The Inter president went on to tell reporters that "all that is needed now is a countersignature".
Moratti added that negotiations with Benitez had not taken place in person but revealed the Spaniard would fly to Milan in time for Wednesday's presentation.
"I think Benitez is not in Italy and will arrive for the presentation," he said. "On Wednesday we will tell you when he will be presented."
Moratti revealed on Monday that a deal with the 50-year-old had been "more or less done" and had been confident the details would be finalised on Tuesday.
Reports in Italy had suggested Benitez would sign a three-year deal worth five million euros per season, but Moratti denied those claims as "off track" in terms of "duration and the amount".
Benitez may wish to take his Anfield assistant Mauricio Pellegrino, goalkeeping coach Xavi Valero and fitness coach Paco de Miguel with him to the San Siro, with Italian Amedeo Carboni - who played under Benitez as a midfielder at Valencia - also touted as a possible backroom addition.
Benitez still had four years to run on his Liverpool contract but left after the Reds could only manage seventh place in the Barclays Premier League last season.
Rio Ferdinand has been ruled out of the World Cup after injuring his left knee in training.
The England captain broke down after a tackle in the final few minutes of his team's first training session since landing in South Africa, and was taken to hospital for a scan.
The scan revealed knee ligament damage and the 31-year-old will take no part in the World Cup.
"Rio has been ruled out for four to six weeks and will therefore unfortunately miss the World Cup," said the FA in a statement. "Tottenham Hotspur's Michael Dawson has been contacted today and will fly to South Africa on Friday evening."
Steven Gerrard will be promoted to the captaincy.
"It is obviously bad news and everyone with the squad is very disappointed and sorry for Rio," said the England manager
Ferdinand had an injury-hit season at Manchester United, being laid low for considerable periods with back and groin problems.
But he was happy with his fitness at the end of the season and during England's two-week training camp in Austria before coming through the friendly internationals with Mexico and Japan unscathed.
Capello's alternatives in the current squad are West Ham's Matthew Upson and Tottenham's Ledley King.
Upson has started nine of the last 17 internationals while King has forced his way into Capello's thinking despite his long-term knee problem.
King has impressed for Tottenham this season although by his own admission he looked far from convincing in the recent friendly with Mexico at Wembley.
Dawson was named in Capello's initial party of 30 for the finals but was excluded from the final 23 after not playing against either Mexico at Wembley or Japan in Graz. He has had an outstanding season at Tottenham, often alongside King.
Manchester United have completed the deal to sign Javier Hernandez after the Mexico
United last month agreed a fee with Mexican side Guadalajara for the 22-year-old before the player also completed a medical and agreed personal terms.
United had only been awaiting confirmation of his work permit to complete his transfer, which will go through on July 1.
Hernandez's confirmation as a United player had been held up because he had played less than 75% of Mexico's internationals during the past two years.
He is, however, set to be a part of the Mexico squad at the World Cup finals in South Africa following which he is due to join United's squad for the Philadelphia leg of their pre-season tour of the United States and Canada.
Hernandez, who is nicknamed 'Chicharito', described his move to Old Trafford as "living the dream" after he completed his medical in Manchester last month.
United fans got a quick glimpse of his talents when he made a substitute appearance for Mexico against England in their 3-1 defeat at Wembley on Monday, before he scored in a 2-1 friendly loss against Holland last night.
Hernandez's signing is the first time that United have done a deal for a Mexican player.
FC Barcelona revealed the new Nike kits for the 2010-11 with a return to red shorts when at home standing out. The outfits will go on sale on June and supporters are now able to reserve theirs online.
Coinciding with the presentation of David Villa at the club, Barça released the new look shirts, shorts and socks that they will don in the next campaign. Yellow and redDiego Milito scored both goals as Inter Milan sealed an historic treble and ended a 45-year wait to be crowned kings of Europe after defeating Bayern Munich 2-0 in the Champions League final in Madrid.
Milito struck in the 34th and 70th minutes as Inter became the first Italian
The victory was the third time Inter have won the trophy, following their successes in 1964 and 1965, and could also have marked a winning farewell for coach Jose Mourinho.
The Portuguese, who becomes only the third coach to win the European Cup with different clubs, has been the subject of intense speculation linking him with a summer move to Real Madrid. Mourinho left Porto for Chelsea soon after leading them to the 2004 Champions League title.
For Bayern coach Louis Van Gaal, the defeat ended his chance to conquer Europe with two separate clubs having won the title with Ajax in 1995.
The match was billed as a clash of contrasting styles between the attacking philosophy of Van Gaal and the defensive proclivity of Mourinho, but there was little to separate the two sides early on.
The biggest threats came from two players who were returning to the Bernabeu having last summer been jettisoned by Real Madrid in the wake of the Spanish giants' 250million euro spending spree.
For Bayern, winger Arjen Robben was proving a persistent menace down the right, while for Inter, playmaker Wesley Sneijder was superb throughout.
And it was the Nerazzurri playmaker who came closest to breaking the stalemate during an evenly-fought opening 30 minutes. The dead-ball specialist tried his luck from a free-kick 35 yards out, and Bayern goalkeeper Hans-Jorg Butt needed to dive to his left to parry the ball away after it had taken a slight deflection off his
Sneijder, who was one of four former Madrid players in an Inter side without a single Italian, was involved in most of his side's attacks and it was no surprise to see him play a key role in the opening goal of the game.
Julio Cesar's long punt forward was headed down by Milito to Sneijder, who immediately set his
Bayern, who were without suspended French star Franck Ribery, tried to respond quickly but, after long-range efforts from Altintop and Robben had failed to worry Julio Cesar, they almost found themselves trailing 2-0 just before the break.
Once again it was Milito and Sneijder involved, but with the roles reversed this time. Milito picked out Sneijder running into the box and it needed a good block by Butt to keep out the former Ajax man's left-footed shot.
Bayern, who were out much quicker than Inter following half-time, had created little to test Julio Cesar in the first half but they almost fashioned an equaliser 25 seconds after the restart. Ivica Olic's clever flick found Altintop in space and the Turkish international then fed the unmarked Thomas Muller on the edge of the Inter area, but the 20-year-old was denied by the feet of Julio Cesar.
Moments after that Inter launched a breakaway that almost resulted in a second goal, Goran Pandev's shot being superbly tipped over one-handed by Butt. That was a thrilling start to the second period and Bayern were enjoying plenty of possession as they sought an equaliser. However, the Inter defence, like it was in the semi-final second leg against last season's European champions Barcelona, was proving tough to break down.
Robben almost managed it with a curling 20-yard effort that brought a brilliant save out of Julio Cesar, while Muller saw a goal-bound effort blocked by the head of Esteban Cambiasso.
Bayern were dominating possession but they were hit with the ultimate sucker punch in the 70th minute as Inter broke away to double their lead.
Milito still had plenty of work to do when he picked up Samuel Eto'o's pass 35 yards out but he superbly turned Daniel van Buyten inside out before coolly finishing past Butt.
There was no way back for Bayern after that as Inter held on to end their long wait for European football's top trophy and perhaps give Mourinho a winning send-off.
Rumours are flying around that Real Madrid forward Karim Benzema could be on his way to Manchester United this summer.
Benzema was linked with United last summer, but the Red Devils were unwilling to match Real Madrid's bid as they snapped him up for £35million.
The Frenchman has failed to make much impression in the Spanish capital however, scoring just eight goals in his 26 appearances, in what has been an injury hampered season.
The decision to leave him out of the France World Cup squad may make him think twice about remaining with Real, who plan on another big spending spree in the summer, and Manchester United are willing to stump up the necessary £25m to revitalise his career again.
Ronaldinho has failed to make it into Brazil's 23-man squad for the 2010 World Cup.
The 30-year-old, who was the FIFA World Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005, has been in good form for AC Milan this season but has missed out on Dunga's squad for the finals in 2010, denying him the chance to add a second World Cup crown to the one he won in 2002.
One of his team-mates in 2002, former Manchester United midfielder Kleberson, has made it into the squad after rediscovering his best form back in Brazil with Flamengo.
Squad: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Doni (Roma), Heurelho Gomes (Tottenham); Maicon (Inter Milan), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Lucio (Inter Milan), Juan (Roma), Luisao (Roma), Thiago Silva (AC Milan), Gilberto (Cruzeiro), Michel Bastos (Lyon); Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Felipe Melo (Juventus), Josue (Wolfsburg), Elano (Galatasaray), Ramires (Benfica), Kleberson (Flamengo), Kaka (Real Madrid), Julio Baptista (Roma); Robinho (Santos/Manchester City), Nilmar (Villarreal), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Grafite (Wolfsburg).
LONDON, (AFP) - West Ham have sacked manager Gianfranco Zola, the Premier League club confirmed on Tuesday.
Zola was widely expected to leave Upton Park following a turbulent campaign which saw the club's co-owner David Sullivan strongly criticise the Italian and his players following a series of disappointing results.
Former Chelsea star Zola just managed to keep his side in the top-flight, but they finished only one place above the relegation zone and he has paid the price for his faltering relationship with the club's owners.
"West Ham United confirm that they have terminated the contract of Gianfranco Zola," a statement on the club's website read.
"The Board of Directors would like to thank him for his contribution and wish him well for the future. The Club will now be focusing its efforts on seeking a replacement."
Zola, who arrived at West Ham in September 2008 for the first managerial role of his career, admitted after the
Sullivan had piled the pressure on Zola when he slammed a 3-1 home defeat against Wolves as "pathetic" and the Hammers boss had contemplated quitting fter a 1-0 home defeat against Stoke on March 27, the
But, following a weekend trip back to Italy to clear his head, the 43-year-old vowed to carry on and ensure his club stayed up.
A gritty draw at Everton and wins over Sunderland and Wigan guaranteed West Ham's survival, but there was never much chance of Zola remaining in charge.
The search for his successor is likely to see Sullivan and co-owner David Gold consider Croatia boss Slaven Bilic, who is a former Hammers star, ex-Manchester City manager Mark Hughes, Portsmouth chief Avram Grant and Birmingham manager Alex McLeish.
LONDON, (Reuters) - Chelsea sparkled and the champagne flowed after an 8-0 demolition of Wigan Athletic which brought the Premier League trophy back to Stamford Bridge on Sunday after three seasons of Manchester United domination.
Didier Drogba netted a hat-trick to finish top of the scoring charts and Carlo Ancelotti's side recorded the club's biggest top-flight win to edge an intriguing title race by one point from Manchester United, who beat Stoke City 4-0.
United's finale was marred by angry protests by fans against the club's American owners and a groin injury to England talisman Wayne Rooney which will concern
But it was Chelsea's day with two goals for Nicolas Anelka and one apiece for Frank Lampard, Salomon Kalou and Ashley Cole taking their league tally to 103, the first side to pass the century mark in the top flight since Tottenham Hotspur in 1963.
Ancelotti, so under-stated during his first season in English football after 33 years as a player and coach in Italy, could hardly contain himself as he danced around the pitch with the trophy.
The beaming Italian, who prevented United winning a record 19th league title and a fourth in succession, can complete the double in next week's FA Cup final against Portsmouth.
"We played with continuity. We played as a
"It was time for Chelsea to win the title, but Manchester United and Arsenal were fantastic rivals."
Captain John Terry, whose season has been blighted by unsavoury publicity about his extra-marital activities, said three years of pain were over.
"It's been a hard three years watching United win the titles year after year," he said before being presented with the Premier League trophy for the first time since Jose Mourinho was Chelsea manager in 2006.
"It's their turn to watch us today. Now we've got it back we want to do what they did. It's been an up and down year but this is what we've worked for."
Chelsea, who have been English champions four times, racked up 17 goals in the three-game
"This right up there, the way we did it in style, it's been fantastic," Lampard said. "After not winning it for three years to come back and do it in style like we did today is superb."
BARELY CELEBRATED
The only blot on the day was a show of petulance from Drogba when he barely celebrated Lampard's penalty, the Ivory Coast
All was smiles at the end, however, as Drogba joined his celebrating
Any doubts that Chelsea would fluff their lines were wiped out by the half hour.
Anelka gave them a sixth-minute lead when he pounced on Florent Malouda's chested pass and Lampard's spot kick made it 2-0 after Gary Caldwell was sent off for hauling him down.
Kalou made it 3-0 and the rest of the game was purely a matter of whether Chelsea would hit the 100-goal mark and Drogba would beat Rooney to the Golden Boot.
Anelka rattled in a
Cole completed the rout and all that was left to do was spray the champagne.
United did what they had to do, Darren Fletcher, Ryan Giggs and Park ji-Sung all on
"We are disappointed but we know how difficult it is to win the Premier League, that's why we can congratulate Carlo Ancelotti and his
"We have done well, we took it to
Arsenal made sure of a place in the group stages of next season's Champions League with a 4-0 home win over Fulham to hold off a late challenge for third spot from Tottenham Hotspur who finished fourth after a 4-2 defeat at Burnley.
Manchester City drew 1-1 at West Ham United, Aston Villa lost at home to Blackburn Rovers and Liverpool, who just crept into the final Europa League place, drew 0-0 with relegated Hull City.